Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Ignition Interlock Device



The final element of my DUI punishment was to have an ignition interlock installed in my car.  This is mandated by the Motor Vehicle Department in order to get your license back- otherwise it will stay suspended.

I contacted four different interlock providers (a list of the providers was given on my DUI "corrective action" order from the MVD) for general information about their prices and their program.  The companies I contacted were 1A Smartstart, Guardian, Lifesaver, and QuickStart.  They were all relatively similar.  Cost per month was between $69-$88.  They all seemed to boast that they didn't charge an installation fee- but after calling several places I realized none of them charge an installation fee.  Some charged a removal fee, which ranged from $50-$75.  Some had promotions where if you paid the entire 12 months in advance they would waive the removal fee, and some said you could get one month free for paying in advance.  It is mandated by MVD that you go and have your interlock device checked once a month for the first three months, then you can cut it down to once every-other month if you agree to pay 2 months at a time.

I decided to go with QuickStart (http://quickstartaz.com/)- primarily because a friend had gone with them and was very happy.  There was no "warm up" time for the device, which is pretty important- especially in the hot summer.  A different friend of mine had told me that when he had to have an interlock device a few years ago his device would sometimes take up to 10 minutes to warm up before he could start his car.  That sounded miserable to me.  Also, QuickStart had a location very close to my house- which was definitely convenient for those monthly check-ins.  I decided to pay the entire 12 months in advance, which got me one month free.  There was no install fee or removal fee.

The other reason I went with them was because they offered the "cup".  It looks like a Thirstbuster and your interlock device goes inside.  When you blow into it it looks like you might just be taking a drink.  Unfortunately- the cord for the device comes out the bottom of the cup, and it made it impossible for me to keep the cup in the cup holder- so I ended up not using the cup.  This was a bummer because I paid an extra $11 a month for that stupid cup.  It was called the "Tier II" program.  The only other upside is that I have theft protection.  If the device is stolen or damaged I only have to pay the deductible- which is like $250 or something- instead of the $2,200- which is what the device costs.

Using the device is easy.  It makes a noise and tells me exactly when to blow into it.  Also, a little blue light they installed on my dash goes off- just in case the music in my car is loud.  I must blow into the interlock before I turn my car on.  It will tell me PASS (so far it hasn't told me anything different).  I have heard stories of people drinking too much the night before and the car not starting.  So far this hasn't happened to me.  One night I had 4 glasses of wine, then got about 7 hours of sleep, woke up about 2 hours before I tried my car- and was able to start it fine- if that gives you an idea.

The device will go off about every 15-25 minutes while on the road.  It just says, "A running test is required."  At this point, I have 6 minutes to blow into it.  I usually blow into it right away.  If I'm at a stop light or right next to another driver, I might wait- Yeah, I'm a little embarrassed.  But 6 minutes is a long time.

That's about all there is to that!

MONTHLY/BI-MONTHLY CHECK-INS

Depending on your "contract" with the Interlock company- you might have either monthly or bi-monthly check-ins.  They are very quick and easy.  For me- once every two months I would go into the Quickstart office and I would bring my Interlock device with me.  They would like to know how many miles where on my car.  They would then plug my device into their equipment and they would download the information from my device.  At this time they will also set up your next appointment with them.  Very quick and painless- but necessary.


**Update:  I've had my device for about a month and a half now.  About 2 weeks ago I went out to a concert and I drank A LOT.  I don't really even remember the very end of the night.  Probably got home around 12:30am.  I woke up around 8, then tried to start my car around 9:15am and I got a Fail.  So this means my blood alcohol was above .03.  My husband had to take me to work.  Boo :(

GETTING YOUR INTERLOCK UNIT REMOVED

Today was the day that I was finally able to get my interlock removed.  So- let's back up a little bit.  At my last Quickstart check they gave me a piece of paper that told me exactly what I needed to do in order to get this god forsaken thing out of my car.  I would need to call the DMV and find out the exact date I could get it removed.  I would then need to make a removal appointment with Quickstart.  Also, Quickstart recommended getting a new driver's license, one that didn't say "Ignition Interlock" on it- BEFORE getting your Interlock removed.  So naturally, I planned to do all above in the same day.

I arrived at the DMV at 7:15am- forty five minutes before opening.  I was 3rd in line.  I was able to get a temporary- paper copy of my new ID.  I waited a few hours until my Quickstart appointment.  When I arrived I took out my interlock device as I always did and brought it inside.  They then told me that I would need to go back and start my car- and they would meet me out there.  They did so, and I went inside and waited.  I probably waited for about 15 minutes.  They had me sign a piece of paper stating that the unit in my car was removed.  I also went ahead with the voluntary customer survey- I mean, what not?  Then my car was done and ready to be driven- interlock free!

I have to say- driving my car without the interlock was trippy- not having to blow into that thing every 15 minutes was AMAZING! I felt like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart.


6 comments:

  1. Often, usage of an IID become very embarrassing, especially when you are with family members or in the cases of long drives, several rolling tests may be required. These IID covers hide your IID at the time of those uncomfortable breath tests. These covers are designed to camouflage your IID and make it look as if you are just relishing a sip of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! Especially For those starting to thinking deeply about ignition interlock devices, this might be a great help for them .Every people wants to travel safely if these device can provide that much help even in drinking time also, then why can’t people will not take? I think this is the fantastic article…..very eye opener….

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice article! I wondered by knowing that the IID covers hide your IID at the time of those uncomfortable breath tests. These covers are designed to camouflage your IID and make it look as if you are just. Thanks for sharing with us.. awaiting for your next posts

    service center

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah though many think this IID is quite unnecessary if you think from other perspective it helps to keep people in check who have habit of doing drunk driving. When I worked with a Los Angeles DUI attorney, I saw so many people repeating their DUI offenses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your post! I have to get a breathalyzer soon and will go with Quick Start as well since they just require you to blow. Other devices need you to hum or suck. Humming or sucking sounds dangerous to do while your driving.

    ReplyDelete

  6. GTAcrete is the top concrete contractors Toronto which offers efficient installation and maintenance services. We offfer interlock and pavement,concrete driveway,concrete sidewalk,concrete foundation,stamp concrete etc.

    ReplyDelete