Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Substance Abuse Classes

I had chosen Sage Counseling as the company that I would do my alcohol screening (See 'Alcohol Screening': 6/17/2013), and was assigned to take 16 hours of substance abuse classes.  These classes were to be completed as two 8-hour courses over a Saturday and Sunday.  While I was given the option of which weekend to take this class and what location, the class was ONLY offered on a Saturday-Sunday.  So if you work one of both of those days, you'll have to request time off.

The class I chose was located in central Phoenix in a business building.  Both classes were scheduled for 9am-5pm and cost $70 per class.  I was told to bring a money order for $140- so I did.  However, she was also accepting cash.  NO credit cards.

The class was held in a room with chairs all around the outside and was completely packed.  Some people had to drag chairs from a neighboring classroom and sit in the middle.  The class was about 85% men, and contained people who were there by order of their probation officer, as well as people who had received DUIs like me.  The facilitator showed some really boring videos about how drugs and alcohol affect brain functioning.  It was not incredibly interesting, but I suppose it was informative.  The class was a combination of reading, group work, and videos from 1975.  Break for lunch was an hour, and we got out of class early at 4:30pm.

The second day of the class pretty much mimicked the first, but this time we got out even earlier- at 3:45.  That was awesome!

All in all- I didn't learn very much, but I payed my dues and served my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment